Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bread for All!




Photo by Valerie Rodgers Lugonja

"How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?"



Julia Child
 
"In Paris today millions of pounds of bread are sold daily, made during the previous night by those strange, half-naked beings one glimpses through cellar windows, whose wild-seeming cries floating out of those depths always makes a painful impression. In the morning, one sees these pale men, still white with flour, carrying a loaf under one arm, going off to rest and gather new strength to renew their hard and useful labor when night comes again. I have always highly esteemed the brave and humble workers who labor all night to produce those soft but crusty loaves that look more like cake than bread."

Alexandre Dumas, French writer (1802-1870)

Here is the humble worker who made that great bread (assisted by his "hand maiden" yours truly).

Photo by Valerie Rodgers Lugonja
We had the pleasure of making bread for Slow Food Edmonton's First Solstice Supper last week to accompany a succulent roast pig.  Our hosts Valerie and Vanja hosted a wonderful repast, and Slow Food members brought fantastic dishes that were enjoyed by all.  We thought we would share our bread making day with you in pictures.  It took almost the whole day and some "starter" time all week to make 12 loaves of bread.  We sooooo won't be doing this for a living,  but are thankful that some gallant souls still do, to provide bread for us!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only we could have smell-o-vision, the bread looks awesome, and I am salivating at the thought of that 'fresh-bread-just-out-of-hot-oven-smell'. Absoluting loving Mr Too Hot To Handle, handsome devil that he is!
Happy New Year and keep up the good work
Love Jo P

Unknown said...

absolutely beautiful. If I use my imaginiation I can smell the yeast causing the dough to rise and the taste of hot fresh bread on my tongue. The weather has been amazing so fire up that oven and enjoy.

A Canadian Foodie said...

The bread was divine. My favourite was th eround dark one. Are you going to post the recipes. I haven't an outdoor oven, but I could still try...
XO

A Canadian Foodie said...

...waiting for the recipes, I got a BETTER idea!
How about a bread baking workshop at your house one weekend? Wouldn't you love that?
I would!
Let me know! XO

Colleen said...

Recipes! The recipes for these bread are formulaes from the Artisan Baking Class at Nait. So...its like 100% starter....100% flour....60% water....etc. I'm not sure if anyone would want recipes like that!

Kevin Kossowan said...

I found out from Valerie as I left the other night that it was you folks who had the wood fired oven I'd read about on her blog! Sorry I didn't end up chatting more, as I'm about to start building my own, and would love to hear your stories about the design, construction, etc.

I'll be posting as I go, and look forward to sitting down to read your posts soon!

Diane said...

haha! you are looking awesome in this picture. I am waiting for your recipe. :)