Friday, November 16, 2007

Bitter Sweet


  • Bison Tenderloin with Black Currant Red Wine Jus
  • Goat Cheese & Thyme Potatoes
  • Sauteed Zucchini


Today was a bittersweet day. It was the last day of a job at a great place. It was a day of cleaning up messes in desks and computers, and ensuring that you don't leave too many loose ends for your colleagues. There were many hugs and a few damp eyes (mine). When I arrived home, I was determined to cook something that honoured the day. Our local Sobeys has recently started carrying Alberta Bison. I bought some tenderloin last week and put it in the freezer for such an occasion. The next challenge was to find flavours and sides for the bison steaks.

Last summer, my 3 black currant bushes were quite prolific. I froze some, and also made some Cassis from some of the currants. The cassis recipe was from the Figs Olive Wine Blog. I found some inspiration for my sweet/sour black currant Pinot Noir reduction from the New Zealand Black Currant Cooperative . Instead of Pinot Noir, I decided to use a bottle of wine given to me as a parting gift from a work friend. It is Casillero del Diablo Carmenere. The reduction was a little too tart, so I added some of my homemade cassis and also some local honey to bring the bitter sweet flavours on par. I paired the dish with the great Thyme and Goat Cheese Potatoes that I featured this summer on my blog, but made them individually and unmolded them onto the dinner plate. Some Zucchini sauteed in Australian Coriole Vineyards olive oil, that was a parting gift from another work friend, rounded out the plate.

As you can see, a recipe is not really needed for an inspirational meal. You only need and inspirational day and an investigative spirit. Ciao!


The Homemade Creme de Cassis


No comments: