Sunday, September 30, 2007

Tomatoes Like Candy!



In my part of the world, frost sometimes comes early. Sometimes so early that you spend a lot of time thinking about why you live where you do. We had to pull out our tomatoes from our garden before the 15th of September. This meant that they have been ripening in a basket on my counter since then. When 30 small roma tomatoes are ripe at the same time, you either have to eat them morning noon and night, or else do something with them. I have had some success with oven roasted tomatoes in the past, so decided that this was going to be the activity today. I oiled a bakesheet with olive oil and preheated the oven to 400 degrees. I cut all the tomatoes in half and laid them on the bakesheet. I sprinkled sea salt and fresh pepper on them, and then some fresh thyme leaves from the garden (hardy little plants, they are!) I put them in said 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, and then turned it down to 300 degrees for about and hour and a half. Below, in pictures is their journey from fresh tomato, to roasted tomatoes (soooooo sweet that they taste like candy), to an omelet for lunch that had more of the hardy herbs and goat cheese. Very Satisfying!








No comments: