Sunday, August 19, 2007

Aurore Sauvignon Blanc 2006 and Spaghetti Frittata




We had the opportunity to visit an up and coming vineyard in the Oliver region called leVieux Pin. Our friend, who has settled in Naramata, took us to the winery to meet one of the owners. This winery has tastings by appointment, and we were able to call and give a few hours notice to set up a tasting. Dry farming, minimal fertilizer addition, high-density plantings and low yield production are some of the tenets of this vineyard. They harvest the grapes by hand and this particular vintage claims to have had only 15 hours of irrigation during it's growing season. If you have been to the region, you will see that it is almost a desert in this area of B.C., so 15 hours of water does not seem like so much!

We had a taste of this wine last night and enjoyed it's fruity almost sweet character. Today, I wanted to see if I could pair it with a light lunch and test it's compatibility with food. Trouble is, my fridge was almost empty and I did not feel like going out for the "big grocery load up" yet. I have tomatoes ready in my garden, and a sage plant the size of a shrub. There was a few nubbins of goat cheese kicking around in the cheese drawer, and some pasta from last night's hurry up supper when we arrived home. I decided to make a Spaghetti Frittata. I won't print a recipe here, but will give the list of ingredients, so that when you find that your fridge is bare, you know that it really is not!

I warmed up olive oil in a saute pan, and then threw in some fresh garlic and a handful of fresh sage leaves. I let this sizzle away for a few seconds, and then added the leftover spaghetti to heat through. Next, 3 eggs, whipped, with some fresh chives, the goat cheese, and chopped fresh tomato. I stirred this around until the edges started to cook, turned down the heat and warmed up the broiler. It sat on the stove top for about 10 - 15 minutes, and when it was almost cooked all the way through, I ran it under the broiler. We ate this lovely little lunch in our almost finished gazebo. My husband had to come down off the roof from nailing shingles to partake in this repast. The wine tasted even better with the lunch than it did last night.

No comments: